photo via The Washingtonian
After years of planning and design, the Purple Line project has begun construction. This work includes the removal of trees and underbrush, establishing fences and environmental protection along the work zone. Utility investigations will also be taking place at many locations along the corridor.
Here’s a wrap-up of work that is underway:
- The Georgetown Branch Interim Trail is closed until the new trail opens in 2021.
- Arliss Street in Silver Spring between Flower Avenue and Walden Road is scheduled to be closed through 2020 to allow the construction of the east side of the Plymouth Tunnel. This site, adjacent to the Giant Food Store, will have a fenced construction yard. Access to the Arliss Knolls Townhouses will be maintained.
- Plymouth Street will also be temporarily closed during the construction of the west side of the tunnel and Manchester Station. However, access for local traffic will be maintained.
- Work has begun on the site of the Bethesda Metro South Entrance located on Elm Street in Bethesda. This station will eventually provide a connection to Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). This operation will continue for several years.
- General preconstruction work, including tree removal and site prep, has started along the western side of Veterans Parkway in Riverdale.
You can subscribe for Purple Line updates here or visit these pages for more info:
- Construction updates and timelines
- View route and neighborhood maps
- View the Q&A that the County’s transportation department recently prepared for the County Council.
Additional responses from the state and the PLCC, the private construction consortium, are expected later this month. You can check the Council website; new items will be added to the “Frequently Requested Documents” section.
STAY IN THE KNOW WITH GO BRENT TEAM AND SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER BELOW.
Subscribe to our mailing list
* indicates required Email Address *